Wednesday, January 29, 2020

3A - My Entrepreneurship Story

When I was in middle school, I realized there was a profitable market for popular sneakers like Nike Basketball sneakers, Jordans, and Adidas shoes. Sneakers with high demand will sell out and resell for sometimes double or more the price on the aftermarket. I got my first profitable pair in 2012 when the Jordan Bred 11s released; I bought them for their retail price, and quickly flipped them for over $300, which felt very gratifying especially at a young age. To this day, I try to continue this entrepreneurial "side hustle" as a hobby of mine, since this sneaker aftermarket is constantly growing in popularity. Most recently, I got the Off-White x Nike Dunks for their retail price this past December; I haven't sold them yet, because I know I can treat them as an investment and let their value rise with time.


Here is a picture of my current collection (a bit absurd, I know). Some will be sold off, but I like to wear most of them.

I enrolled in ENT3003 not only because the credits go toward my business concentration, but also because owning my own business is an idea that has always really resonated with me. Since I've been in this sneaker business for so long now, I have gained valuable entrepreneurial experience, and I hope to one day use this to create my own success story. Some things I hope to get out of this class are the stats behind a successful business, experience stories from both failing and profitable entrepreneurs, and how to grow a business from the local level to national.

3 comments:

  1. Shoes are one thing I have never really understood. I appreciate the design and quality of a good shoe, but I've never understood how someone would want to buy a pair of shoes for hundreds of dollars and hardly wear them. Heck, I don't even know what gives a shoe such value (brand, comfort, designer, style?). But hey, well done identifying a market you seem to know plenty about and actually making some money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your post to be very interesting. while I’m not really into shoes myself (I mainly wear my worn out Nike tennis shoes), I still find the hobby of collecting and reselling sneakers to be fascinating. it certainly makes for an interesting entrepreneurial story! I think we can all agree that we are taking this class to fulfill some sort of requirement, but I have a feeling we will also get something more meaningful out of this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really cool how much of a hobby this has become for you. I like how you started from a young age with this interest because it gives you such larger opportunity to grow and see how much you can do with this. Part of being an entrepreneur is building on that and seeing how far you can make things last. I have a little bit of a shoe collection myself so I can understand the addiction!

    ReplyDelete