- College-aged students who must do chores and clean up after their roommates, who refuse to do the work themselves
2. Interviews
- Cameron, 21, FSU Senior
- Emma, 21, FSU Junior
- Ryan, 19, UF Sophomore
3. Need Awareness
- Although the people I interviewed all fit within my segment, they had some differing causes of need awareness. I learned from Cameron that his need for his roommates to help him with chores mostly only occurs on the weekends, when his roommates and their friends make a mess and leave it sitting there until Sunday. He sometimes cleans up after them, and he emphasized how much of a hassle this was. Emma fits within my segment, because she has one particular roommate who never cleans up after herself. Emma noted that she has told her to help with chores a number of times before, but the girl simply refuses to make an effort. Ryan considers himself a cleanly person, so when his roommates make a mess or refuse to help with household chores, he just does it himself. He stated he wishes they would clean up after themselves, but has since stopped asking for help since he realizes he is much more cleanly than most people.
4. Information Search
- All of my interviewees had told me that the first thing they do when this need occurs is ask their roommates (particularly the ones who caused the mess) to help clean up or stay on top of their household chores, such as taking out the trash. This answer varies further when looking in-depth into my interviews, because the roommates who are asked to help don't always contribute, even though some said they would. Frankly, them asking their roommates is the only reliable source for satisfying this need, other than a maid. Although none of them had previously used Google to satisfy this need, the key search terms I picked out from their hypothetical answers were "how to keep a clean house," "how to make sure roommates do chores," and "maids near me." They do talk to their families about their need, because the cleanliness of their homes concerns their loved ones, especially parents who are often paying the rent.
5. Research Findings
- From my interviews, I learned that there are varying causes for the need to maintain a clean house. This means that there are multiple reasons why people fit into my segment, so there are distinguishable psychographics of my target market. I also learned that not all college students with roommates have this need, because I had to call more than 3 people to get people who fit into my segment.
6. Conclusions
- My segment comprises college students who have roommates who either often or only sometimes leave a mess for someone else to clean up. The need is particularly present on weekends, when roommates have friends over who collectively make a mess. It is also very present in households in which one or two of the roommates are either too selfish or too lazy to do chores. The people who feel the need will likely ask the roommate(s) for help, but they are not always willing.
I am experiencing an identical situation to Emma, and my roommate cooks and leaves dirty dishes and pans in the sink. After a few days of neglecting the dirty dishes, I am forced to either act out of character or clean it myself to prevent from insects inside of the house. I just do not understand why a responsible adult is not taking care of their duties and now we have to write a discussion post about it.
ReplyDeleteThis was a great post Blake. I think you picked an ideal market segment: college students who have roommates. I think it was interesting that you got slightly different responses from your interviewers about their needs. I certainly think the need for your app will depend on the personality of the person. I think the conclusion you drew from your interviews was spot on.
ReplyDeleteHi Blake! You were able to get some great feedback from a variety of situations that really showed how dependent situations can be when it comes to cleaning up, especially with college roommates. I can relate to Ryan as I usually end up cleaning up as I just want it to be clean and if no one is going to do it, I just get it done. It can be pretty frustrating! Overall, this assignment was able to show you how different circumstances are and you will be able to use this to improve your app!
ReplyDeleteHey Blake,
ReplyDeleteI think you picked your biggest market segment because a majority of college kids have roommates and since it's their first time living alone, it can be easy to get stuck with someone who doesn't know how to clean up after themselves or is lazy to clean. With that said, I think your service will cater to mostly kids who have roommates or friends that leave messes and don't care to clean after themselves. Your interviews reflect the problem of laziness, when it comes to chores, and lack of discipline, which would be solved by your app.