Friday, March 13, 2020

16A - What’s Your Secret Sauce?

1. My Human Capital
  • I have entrepreneurial experience through the sneaker business that I've explained in previous blog posts. To summarize, I try to get popular clothing/sneakers when they release before they quickly sell out. These popular items then go on to resell for prices higher than their retail cost. I have been doing this since 2012, and have since amassed an extensive collection as well as tons of 5-star feedback.
  • I consider myself very approachable and neighborly all around. I don't like to spread hate or hold grudges, because one friendly conversation can make someone's day. I try to make use of this value on a daily basis.
  • I have been told that I make some people feel safe and secure. Although I'm not quite sure the reason (I'm not a giant or anything), I like to think this quality can be used in a workplace effectively.
  • Relative to my entrepreneurial experience, I consider myself a very good negotiator. There is a lot more psychology behind negotiating than one would think, so I think this skill is very useful in practice.
  • Finally, I'd say that I'm a very outgoing and ambitious person. I hate leaving any minor or major chores at the back of my head, so I try my best to complete my daily routine and any other tasks as soon as possible.
2. Interviews
  • Interview #1: Mom
  • Interview #2: Cameron (Good Friend)
    • https://soundcloud.com/laslake/interview-2
    • Cameron also explained some of the skills and experience I've gained through my sneaker business, since he is a fellow entrepreneur. I have also made a number of transactions with him directly.
  • Interview #3: Randell (Good Friend & Roommate)
  • Interview #4: Nolan (Good Friend & Roommate)
    • https://soundcloud.com/laslake/interview-4
    • Nolan is also my roommate, and funnily enough he used the exact word I used to describe myself: approachable. I think this is my favorite answer from all of my interviews.
  • Interview #5: Todd (Good Friend)
    • https://soundcloud.com/laslake/interview-5
    • Todd mentioned my conversational skills, highlighting how I can keep any conversation going. This skill is mostly useful for everyday activities and keeping my friends entertained.
3. Reflection
  • After conducting these brief interviews, I figured that a lot of the human capital I consider myself having is pretty apparent to people like my friends and family. A lot of the stuff I mentioned before the interviews was brought up directly or similarly when I asked these people who are close with me. Randell brought up my organizational skills, which I did not mention but I also humbly agree with what he had to say. I think my interviewees are definitely correct about me, because I view myself in a similar way. Going back to my original list, I'd probably replace the fifth point with my organizational skills, because this is something I highly prioritize; I just didn't think to add it at the time.

3 comments:

  1. Great post Blake! I think you did a great job figuring out what your “secret sauce” is and analyzing the qualities you have that make you different from others. I think that the entrepreneurial experience you have is very interesting and I certainly think it is something that would make you stand out in the business world. I think you did a good job with your interviews and reflecting on them after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Blake, I was really impressed by each of your interviews. They were all similar to what you had decided as your own human capital and clarified what you already thought were your strengths compared to others. I can relate to being approachable as I often feel my friends usually come to me for thoughts and ideas about situations as I can relate to every side and see the positives compared to the negatives. Good job with your interviews and finding your human capital!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Blake,
    I like how you went into depth in your interviews. It's safe to say you now know and understand what your "secret sauce" is and you can use it to your advantage! It's cool to see someone else that is in the sneaker community. I think buying and selling shoes and clothes has given us a lot of business and entrepreneurial experience subconsciously, especially in negotiating with people and being professional and friendly with others.

    ReplyDelete