- I decided to read Coco Chanel by Lisa Chaney, because I have an interest in the fashion world and I have heard many controversial things about her. What surprised me the most about her was the fact that her designs were used as a source of inspiration for extremely well-known artists, including Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dalí.
- The thing I most admire about Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel was the way she pioneered into the fashion industry as a woman in the 20th century. Equal rights were not as set in stone as they are today, so she was evidently very influential for her time.
- The thing I least admire about Gabrielle Chanel was her immoral antics. Chaney reveals that she had a history of drug abuse, lesbian affairs, and even a German lover in the midst of World War II.
- Coco Chanel certainly faced adversity during her era, considering how the Great Depression occurred in the middle of her business' rising success. Nobody had money for expensive clothes during a time like this, and wearing them was seen as snobbish. To deal with it, she simply closed up shop and didn't return for decades.
2.
- The competencies I noticed that Gabrielle Chanel exhibited were her unique design skills, which paved the way for many luxury houses we know today, as well as her endurance through a biased industry and harsh critique.
3.
- The main part of the biography that confused me the most was when Coco moved from Paris to Switzerland in order to live away from the media's spotlight, only to come back many years later.
4.
- Two questions I'd ask in order to get a better understanding of the overall process of her success:
- What made you want to return to your brand after so many years hiatus?
- How did you overcome the harsh male critics of your day, who were obviously biased?
5.
- In a sense, Gabrielle Chanel has a contradicting work ethic as told in this biography. She worked extremely hard against adversities in order to turn her brand into a success. However, when the Great Depression came around, she threw her hands up in the air and essentially gave up for a number of years. I definitely share the initial part of her work ethic with Coco, but I can't ever see myself completely giving up on my venture.
Great post Blake! I think you did a great job summarizing this book and its many themes. I did not know much about this woman’s life, but I had heard that she is a very important figure in the world of fashion. I thought it was interesting that she faced so much adversity, especially since she started her business during the great depression.
ReplyDeleteHi Blake,
ReplyDeleteI never knew that Coco Chanel inspired Pablo Picasso and Dalí! I think Coco Chanel is a fantastic example of success in the fashion world. I think it's very interesting how she basically quit during the Great Depression, but then came back after a few years to revive her brand. It seems like she knew that it wasn't her time for her business to be very successful and had to wait a few years to come back.