Friday, January 31, 2020

4A - Forming an Opportunity Belief

I have a belief that there is a transportation problem in the Gainesville area that creates an opportunity for me to develop a universalized solution. The transportation problem is caused by UF’s faulty parking system; there are decals for everyone who would need to come to campus, but there is not nearly enough parking for the actual students. In places where there is parking for us, you will likely have to take a bus after you park to get to your class. This is why students heavily rely on scooters, which are usually upwards of $1,200. Primarily, students who live off-campus face this problem the most.

I believe Gainesville is the perfect place to implement a ride-sharing service in the form of electronic scooters and bikes. Companies like Lime and Bird would thrive from this parking discrepancy, which has existed since my mom went to UF in the 80's. Furthermore, Gainesville has plenty of room for the scooters since there is an abundance of bike lanes on and near campus. I will interview three fellow UF students who own/want scooters to ask questions regarding my opportunity belief.

Iteration #1: Justin, UF Senior

  • "UF's parking system didn't really have an effect on me since I don't have my car here in Gainesville, but I do remember my freshman roommate running around campus at all hours of the night looking for a parking spot. I actually already own an electric scooter, so the need for a similar ride-sharing service isn't quite there for me, but I would definitely recommend them for transportation in Gainesville, so I think it's a great idea."
  • Reflection: Right off the bat, I learned that my opportunity is a valid idea, since Justin already uses an e-scooter to get around Gainesville. That being said, the most surprising thing I found out during this conversation was that my idea has already been had, in a sense.

Iteration #2: Randell, UF Senior

  • "I transferred to UF as a sophomore and instantly recognized this parking problem on campus. I want a scooter, but I'm only here for one more year so I don't see the need to spend that much money. I usually rely on street parking throughout the year, but this semester my friend has been letting me park at his house just north of University Ave. I think bringing companies like Lime and Bird to Gainesville would be a huge help to students like me who struggle with campus parking. Also, they're pretty fun!"
  • Reflection: I learned that my opportunity would surely be fulfilled by the vast number of students who use the bus, street-parking, walking, etc. The most surprising thing I learned from Randell was that people go to lengths such as parking at friend's houses just to get to class.

Iteration #3: Nolan, UF Junior

  • "I've known about UF's parking problem since my very first semester here, when my car often sat in the same spot for days just because I didn't want to give up my spot. I got a scooter last year when I moved off-campus because I really didn't want to rely on the RTS bus, and I knew my car would be no help. I would actually love if they brought Lime scooters to Gainesville, because I use them often in my hometown, Orlando, just for fun. On top of that, I could use them to get to class, which I could see becoming a trend here at UF."
  • Reflection: I learned that my opportunity could potentially become a trend, meaning as new students come to UF, less and less gas scooters would be sold. The most surprising thing I learned from Nolan was that my opportunity might not only be used for the convenience of getting to class, but also for recreation.

Summary: I feel that 100% of my opportunity is still there. In fact, I feel even more certain that this idea would come to fruition. All three of my prototypical customers could and would use the e-scooters, especially from trusted companies like Lime and Bird, who distribute scooters evenly across the city. I believe it is necessary for entrepreneurs to adapt their company/idea based on customer feedback, but it is smart to make a final decision only when you have plenty of quantitative evidence supporting the suggestion.

3 comments:

  1. I too have had a struggle with UF's parking system. I believe that they probably sell way more parking passes than they can accommodate for. I have had to ride around for 30 minutes at the time trying to find a parking spot. Even if you can find one, its extremely difficult to find the done that you can actually park in because of your restriction due to your credit amount or if you live off-campus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Blake, I feel your pain with UF's parking system. I gave up on trying to park my car after one bad experience of missing class because I could not find parking. I now take the buses to class because of it. I noticed that your second interview brought up the idea of having Bird scooters come to Gainesville. I know their are issues with them getting left everywhere but if UF could create stations for them I think it would be a positive addition to campus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live relatively far from campus (more than 2 miles) and last semester I decided to buy a moped. Based on my research and actual experience purchasing a scooter, I'd say you can easily find a used one in great shape for sub-$1000 (including tag, title transfer, etc.) and then sell it at the end of your use for around $600. So, purchasing a scooter might actually be quite affordable making electric scooters less of an interest.
    I think your idea of incorporating shareable electric scooters would be best targeted at students who live within the University of Florida or apartments directly off of campus. The larger radius of your coverage, the more scooters you will have to provide and the more theft you will be prone to experience.

    ReplyDelete