Friday, February 7, 2020

8A - Solving the Problem

1. Opportunity
  • The opportunity I found in my previous blog post came from the issue of lazy people who don't contribute to household chores, leaving behind extra work for their roommates. This problem is inherently widespread, because the truth is some people are not as cleanly as others. Some people were also raised in such a way that they think, "if I don't do it, someone else will," and being on your own for the first time in college with this mentality is very problematic. The issue is very apparent in college towns populated by students, since very few can afford to live in a studio apartments. I feel it is also apparent nationwide in big cities, where high rent prices force people to room together to split costs. These are the people who will make up the main target market for my solution.
2. Solution
  • In my interviews I asked people if they would consider an organized system of splitting up household chores amongst their roommates. My idea for a solution to the problem at hand will be a service in the form of a mobile application. My app will distribute chores amongst a set number of roommates based on an algorithm that is personalized by the group's preferences. Customers will input a chore list as well as their individual chore preferences, and then synchronize this information with that of their roommates. It will then evenly split up chores on a daily/weekly basis to best fit their preferences. It will also give the user a notification of his/her daily chore as well as his/her roommates daily chores. That way, others will know who needs to do what, in case someone ignores their chore. Since people might consider this app a hassle because it revolves around doing work, I will be sure to incorporate entertaining features, such as a "birthday chore pass" and a trendy design/aesthetic. The interface of the app will be a very simple calendar listing each roommate's daily chores, so it is streamlined for all potential users.

2 comments:

  1. I found your post to be very fascinating. I think your opportunity is definitely something that resonates with anyone who has had to deal with a lazy roommate in the past. The idea that you proposed about having an organized system of splitting household chores amongst the roommates in the form of an app is fascinating. I think your app idea is definitely worth exploring further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Blake, I think this is a really good idea and would definitely be helpful to keep a roommate's tasks in order. I also think this would be good since each person in the household can add to it so that everyone is able to keep tracks of the many chores that need to get done. It would be awesome if there would be a way that each person could have a designated amount of chores each week and if they went over that amount, they would have less the following week. I think if developed this app would be a great way to keep track of responsibilities!

    ReplyDelete