Friday, February 14, 2020

9A – Testing the Hypothesis, Part 2

1. Interviews
Interview #1: Nick, UF Junior
  • Although Nick fits the profile of a consumer who I would generally target with my opportunity, he doesn't quite feel the need to have a system of keeping his household clean amongst his roommates. He says it's because his roommates are "on top of their things," meaning they already keep their home clean on a regular basis. He noted that all four of their individual  efforts make up the reason why his house remains clean. However, Nick has been in Gainesville for three years, and thus has seen many houses that are cluttered and dirty.
Interview #2: Joseph, FSU Senior
  • I called Joey up for this interview, because I figured he lies outside the boundary of my opportunity. He has three roommates in his Tallahassee apartment, where cleanliness is simply not a priority. He told me that his stove had leftover food everywhere and that his kitchen sink was filled to the brim as we were speaking. Quite the opposite of Nick's home, Joey's apartment remains dirty, because nobody living there makes an effort to clean up after themselves. The main reason why he lies outside the boundary of my opportunity is because none of his roommates care to have a clean house.
Interview #3: Catherine, UF Grad Student
  • Catherine is a grad student here at UF in the pharmacy school who lives with only one other roommate, her boyfriend. She doesn't seem to need a cleaning system in her apartment either, because she is "antsy about keeping the house clean." Her boyfriend is also busy as a pharmacy student, so she does most the cleaning and doesn't mind doing so. Catherine lies outside the boundary of my opportunity mainly because she finds satisfaction in keeping a clean house already.
Interview #4: Taylor, FSU Senior
  • Taylor is a senior at FSU who lies outside of my boundary. She doesn't have a need to clean or to have a system in place for cleaning, because she lives in her sorority house where they have their own maid. She mentioned that most girls in the house clean up after themselves anyway by either putting their dishes in the dishwasher or taking out the trash when needed. She also said that their maid cleans on a daily basis, so the house is almost always spotless. The reason Taylor lies outside the boundary of my opportunity is that her rent costs include maid services, meaning she would not be a prototypical customer.
Interview #5: Alejandro, UF Senior
  • Alejandro lives with three other roommates here in Gainesville. He said that he keeps a clean house by hiring a maid who he met through his occupation. She gives him a discount on her service, and he and his roommates split the cost evenly on a monthly basis. They avoid the hassle of weekly chores and cleaning by doing so, and this is why Alejandro could very well be in my target market yet outside the boundary of my opportunity.
2. Inside/Outside the Boundary



3. Summary
  • I found out that while my target market is still fairly accurate, there are a number of exceptions. These people would likely see my advertisements or hear about my service, so this would be wasted marketing. I know that the number of exceptions is somewhat high, because it wasn't too hard to think of people I know for the interviews who lie outside of the boundary of my opportunity. Nevertheless, I still feel strongly that my idea would hold up in the market due to the continuous influx of college students who could make use of a digitalized cleaning system amongst their roommates. I believe this because it was even easier to find students who were inside the boundary for my previous interviews.

4 comments:

  1. This was a great post Blake. I think that you went into a lot of depth with your interviews and I think that they helped to test out your opportunity further. I thought it was interesting that one of the people you interviewed has a maid, but I guess it wouldn’t be that expensive if you split it among roommates. I agree that your target market is still accurate based on the interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Blake,

    I read your first interview and I can truly relate to that statement. I am one of those consumers to where I would not need anyone cleaning my house because I am on top it. I hate living in a dirty space and so cleaning actually motivates me to have a better day. But the idea of the cleaning service works, because not many people have maids and a cleaning service is convenient for the people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Blake! From your interviews, you were able to learn a lot of very useful information. I am impressed you went outside of UF to another university to get other opinions. Especially with cleaning, it is very personal as some people love to clean and other could care less with having a clean room. However, you still have a very strong market. I do not see anything you would have needed to change to improve with this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Blake,
    I like how you covered many potential customers through your interviews and noticed that even people who use a maid service to clean their apartments are still potential customers even though they are outside of the boundary of your opportunity. I think this app would definitely help roommates hold each other accountable for doing chores and it would help balance the work load of keeping a clean apartment. Since this is a very common problem, I don't think you will have any issue selling this product, especially in a college town.

    ReplyDelete