Economic Opportunity #1: Tesla stock experiences biggest stumble in 7 years
a) https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-off-the-accelerator-as-stock-takes-worst-stumble-in-more
-than-6-years-2020-02-05
-than-6-years-2020-02-05
b) Tesla stock saw a meteoric rise over the past few days, but it was quickly followed by a near 15%
plummet as of today. I think this might be an opportunity, because the volatility of the stock can result
in quick gains, especially right now that the price is low, comparatively.
c) The most likely customers who have this opportunity are investors, brokers, and Tesla fans who know how to turn this opportunity into profit.
d) This opportunity is difficult to exploit, because no one would quit their job to pursue these volatile
gains, since the stock market is simply not a reliable source of income without an insane amount of
savings.
Why?) My recent research in the stock market led to me believing there is an opportunity behind
Tesla's current low stock price. Now that I will be graduating soon, I want to begin investing at an
intermediate level.
Economic Opportunity #2: Oil prices decrease amidst coronavirus outbreak
b) Oil prices are steadily decreasing in China as the coronavirus spreads, leading to an international
decline in oil prices. Frankly, I see this as an opportunity to fill up my car with gas at a cheaper price
than I can remember!
c) The most likely customers who would turn this opportunity into an advantage are people with cars,
motorcycles, and/or any other gas-powered vehicles. Amongst these drivers, people with long
commutes and yacht-owners would get the most use from this opportunity.
d) This opportunity is relatively difficult to exploit, because you would have to use your vehicle in
excess to truly take advantage of it. Furthermore, worldwide oil prices will slowly recover.
Why?) I recognized this opportunity, because I am a person with a weekly commute to class. I also
own a car as well as a scooter, so the opportunity for me is double that of the average person.
own a car as well as a scooter, so the opportunity for me is double that of the average person.
Regulatory Opportunity #1: The legalization of marijuana
b) I believe there is an opportunity in this market, since it is constantly facing progressive regulatory
changes. In states that are pending legalization, there is huge untapped market space for companies
or entrepreneurs to delve into.
changes. In states that are pending legalization, there is huge untapped market space for companies
or entrepreneurs to delve into.
c) Growers, those already in the legal industry, and those who want to work in the industry are the
most likely customers for this opportunity.
most likely customers for this opportunity.
d) Since the drug is not legal nationwide, it is very easy to exploit this market. People can simply go
to where it's legal and take it back to their home state where it's not. Even when it is nationally
legalized, the business is instinctively shady since it will always be recognized as a once-illegal drug.
to where it's legal and take it back to their home state where it's not. Even when it is nationally
legalized, the business is instinctively shady since it will always be recognized as a once-illegal drug.
Why?) Since the topic is on the news almost daily, I have always looked at the opportunity behind it.
I feel that most people who are watching are mostly interested in whether or not it will be nationally legalized and how that measures up with their morals.
Regulatory Opportunity #2: Statewide ban on texting while driving in Florida
b) I personally think there is an opportunity behind this regulation, because even nowadays I
regularly see drivers texting and driving. We need to make people more aware that there is a law
against it, perhaps through an advertising campaign that is run throughout Florida and sponsored by
local car companies.
against it, perhaps through an advertising campaign that is run throughout Florida and sponsored by
local car companies.
c) The most likely customers of this opportunity would be people/companies in Florida who realize the
magnitude of this ongoing issue and who feel strongly enough to help in a campaign against it.
magnitude of this ongoing issue and who feel strongly enough to help in a campaign against it.
d) This opportunity is not easy to exploit, because it regards a campaign raising awareness of a
statewide ban. However, the opportunity to exploit this specific law is very easy, since all you have to
do is take out your phone while driving, which is often very tempting.
do is take out your phone while driving, which is often very tempting.
Why?) As opposed to anyone else, I saw this opportunity to create an ad campaign against texting and
driving not only because I am an advertising major, but also because I once did a project on the topic in
high school, before there was a law in effect.
driving not only because I am an advertising major, but also because I once did a project on the topic in
high school, before there was a law in effect.
I thought you did a great job with this post and you were very thorough with your analysis of these opportunities. I thought the article about the oil prices dropping because of oil prices was interesting and I think it certainly does provide an economic opportunity. I also thought your article about the legalization of marijuana was fascinating and it certainly does provide an opportunity.
ReplyDeleteHi Blake! I thought each of your articles were very interesting and very current in today’s news. I also did the legalization of marijuana for a regulatory opportunity, however, I took a bit of a different take on it. I liked how you could see there is an opportunity in the market and how easy to exploit this market would be. I do not see any improvements for the future. Good job!
ReplyDeleteIn regards to the opportunity you saw in the texting ban, I'd like to offer an alternative opportunity: focused more in the direction of enforcement. What if there were a device on the highways that would remotely disable the messenger functionality of the phone?
ReplyDeleteWould this work? Would it decrease the number of accidents?
Hopefully such a device never becomes a reality: I'm definitely not in favor of this extreme form of governmental control. It's just a hypothetical