- One failure I experienced this semester that quickly came to mind was my failure to upload an initial elevator pitch. When I look back on my Canvas calendar, I see that I had an exam as well as tons of work outside of this class that particular week. I turned in 9A and 9B, which were due at the same time, but I remember feeling very overwhelmed to the point where I just didn't do the first elevator pitch. I probably stayed up late a couple other nights that week, and I figured I could afford the points to get a good night's rest.
2. What I Learned
- Since this was a rather simple failure that didn't cost me much, the lesson learned was mild, but practical: don't wait until the last minute to do your work, or else you'll regret it for more reasons than one. Those reasons being a potentially bad grade and a lack of sleep. This lesson is one all of us students have certainly been taught, but sometimes the temptation of procrastination gets to us.
3. Reflection
- In the moment, failure can feel like an utter nuisance, perhaps a point of restarting entirely. But it's important that we look back upon our failures not as embarrassments, but as guidelines on what not to do. I personally try to do this as quickly as I can after my failure occurred, because it relieves my mind of the embarrassment, which is usually inevitable. I think that this class has certainly made me more likely to take risks, especially as an entrepreneur who is graduating soon!
Great post Blake! I think you did a great job outlining a time you experienced failure in your life and why its important to celebrate failure. I think that a lot of us probably found it hard to post that first elevator pitch either because we were so busy at that point in the semester or because we were just so nervous about being in front of the camera. I agree that failure can seem like a nuisance, but I think its important to celebrate failure.
ReplyDeleteBlake, I think everyone can relate to your situation. Sometimes it's tough not to procrastinate because life just gets in the way, or, you simply don't want to do a specific task. And sometimes you do have to cut your losses in order to get some sleep. But, overall, the struggle against procrastination is something that gets us all. Good job recognizing this as a point of issue in your own life, and good luck with whatever entrepreneurial ventures you undertake after college!
ReplyDeleteHi Blake,
ReplyDeleteI can definitely relate to your elevator pitch situation. I too had a ton of work outside of this class to do and was overwhelmed by the thought of having to stand in front of a camera and pitch my business to the class. I believe you handled the situation well with a good amount of risk analysis when deciding to skip the assignment and take the grade that comes with that. Overall, all entrepreneurs fail at some point and life goes on!